Home again, home again, jiggety-jig. ;)

Here I am back home again in South Africa. It’s winter here and I was surprised at how cold it was when we touched down at Johannesburg’s OR Tambo airport at 7am. Some people on our flight were still dressed in shorts, sandals and T-shirts, and were shivering as they waited for their baggage, which they would no doubt open up and grab some warmer clothing as soon as possible.

International departures at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport, was quite spectacular. We had an awfully long wait for our flight to SA, and weren’t sure whether to go through security early, as we didn’t know what facilities were waiting on the other side. Sometimes you go through, and all there is there, are just uncomfortable waiting areas. Hubby asked one of the airport staff if there were more shops on the other side, and he smiled as he answered in the affirmative. Well, he certainly wasn’t lying, as after passing through the gate, we were met by a massive array of fancy stores and restaurants, almost as big as a small town. Every designer shop was represented, and we could have spent a large fortune if we had one to spare. πŸ˜‰ There were wondrous creations to see all around us, and we so enjoyed admiring all of these, as well as the beautiful orchid displays.

We had lunch and then found something to take home for my mom, but still had almost 8 hours to wait until our flight at 1-15am, so we settled down to read and wait. By the time our flight came up, we were both more than ready for bed, and we still had an 11 hour flight, plus another one from Jo’burg to Durban. At such times, I just resign myself to my fate, and the phrase, “This too shall pass,”Β  plays itself over and over in my head.

I did get a shot of the rainbow over Phuket as we left for Bangkok.

The night passed very slowly indeed, and it was such a relief when the lights came on and I realised that there were only a couple of hours left. This was the first time ever, that I’ve been awake in time to get a sunrise photo.

By the time we eventually arrived home, I was ‘finished’, but still managed to unpack whilst the water was heating up for a very welcome bath. I made some delicious butternut soup for supper, and then it was absolute bliss to get into our own bed and sleep for almost 9 hours. It rained for most of the night, and today is cool and grey, but I’ve had that old Frank Sinatra song playing in my mind today, “It’s nice to go travelling………but it’s so much nicer to come home.”

46 comments on “Home again, home again, jiggety-jig. ;)

  1. I was not familiar with the phrase jiggety jig. Apparently it is an onomatopoeia of hardwork, whatever that means and come from a Momma Goose nursery rhyme. Now I learnt something. πŸ™‚
    Great pics. That airport looks spectacular.

  2. Welcome home! Looks like you had a wonderful send off. That airport mall looks like a great place to photograph.


    • Thanks, Francine. Yes, it is a beautiful airport indeed. So much to see, but I was still glad when it was time to board our flight. πŸ˜‰

  3. Home my sweet home… πŸ™‚ I know this feeling when coming back to home from travel… I am glad you are home in safe, dear AD. But I can see how long you waited for flight… This is really so boring but how nice you enjoyed. The airport seems amazing, I can lose myself there… πŸ™‚ From summer to winter what a feeling, I try to imagine… Wonderful photographs you captured. Welcome home dear AD, have a nice day, love, nia

  4. Great photo’s once again.
    The airport looks just brilliant and really makes OR Tambo look very drab.
    Hope the rain starts moving away as we want to come down early next month and I really would like to see the sun there.

    • Thanks, optie It seems that we did bring the rain with us, although our caretaker told us that was a massive hailstorm here on Saturday evening.

Comments are closed.